You don't have to wait to move forward in getting divorced using divorce mediation as opposed to litigation during this Coronavirus Pandemic but things are definitely different.
1. We are meeting people through zoom. Until everyone is vaccinated, our approach has been to meet people through zoom. Most clients like this for the convenience and the time flexibility it allows us.
2. There would be a personal meeting necessary after the documents are prepared and approved. You will come in, review the final documents, I will notarize the documents and fully prepare you for the court papaerwork filing and court hearing.
3. The court are still trying to conduct hearings by telephone or zoom. That is a good thing for you as you won't have to travel and wait hours to be heard.However I am hearing a 4-6 month backlog compared to 2-4 week pre-covid backlog.
4. To save you time and money, when possible we will email you documents to complete before the meetings. Just email to me before the meeting so I can take a quick look.
5. I realize many people are still on unemployment or pandemic releif. This present situation can be taken into account with the documents and calculations can be made using usual salaries and covid earnings.
6. Judges seem to be scrutinizing the agreement more closely in the last 6 months. So, should you wish to deviate from very standard agreements and divisions, be forewarned they may not pass the final approval of the judge. This is especially relevant for any people who are drafting their own separation agreements.
7. Prior to working with you we will give our best estimate as to costs and fees. We try not to charge like a lawyer (retainers, hourly fees, surprises)
Other reasons to consider mediation:
Mediation works best for a couple that want to divorce in an amicable way. This is the couple who wants a fair agreement and they are willing to sit and have a conversation about what is important to them and why, listen to one another and talk about options would work best for each of them and their children going forward into the future.
Mediation is voluntary and that's likely why it works so well. You're coming to the table because you want to end up with a fair divorce agreement, you don't want to spend an arm and a leg (that you likely would spend if you litigate in court) and you want the process completed sooner rather than later (divorce mediation can be completed in weeks to months) as opposed to (divorcing through representation by a lawyer or litigating in the court system) which typically takes a year or longer and often ends up with the same results they would have had if they used the divorce mediation process.
Very Important to consider: it may be a long time before we have this Pandemic under control, remember you don't have to continue to stay in a marriage you no longer want to be in.
Contact us at 978 674-8530 to help you with your divorce. Let us know whether you'd like to mediate in person or virtually. We work at a pace that works for you. No rush, No delay. Its your mediation and will ultimately result in your divorce agreement.
We offer flexible scheduling. Weekend and evening appointments are available upon request. If you are in need of experienced Divorce Attorney and Mediator, we are here for you. It is our goal to take care of you as a couple collectively, ensuring your Divorce Agreement is thorough, well thought through and will make sense for you, your spouse and your children now and well into the future.
visit website www.baronlawmediation.com